Bream is a very luring prey for every angler, because if you catch one, you have a very high chance to catch more. In spite of simplicity of such fishing, anglers often meet difficulties. Even if you have the same gear, the same bait and the same place to fishing, more experienced anglers caught more fish. What’s the matter? What can you do to get a huge catch? If you want to learn how to catch large one, you must first learn how to accurately throw tackle, look for places for fishing and prepare good bait. The information under will be very helpful.
Habitats and bream searching
You can find it in deep and quiet place, for example, backwaters and bays with sandy, clay or silty bottom. For catching you must better choose not very deep place with a moderate flow, a steep bank and a sandy bottom. The biggest species anglers caught near steep clay banks. The spring fishing starts, when water became brighter and rivers reached a shore. In two weeks, at the end of spawning bream gets hungry and greedy.
Days bream spend in the grassy thickets and you can find this fish at the clear place only early in the morning or very late at night.
From the end of April to the beginning of May and from August to October bream caught from 6-7 am to 5-6 pm. You can catch small bream in the afternoon, when the weather is clear in the grassy places, choosing clean clearings. This fish loves winds, which bring dust and debris. You can find a middle-sized or silver bream not far from such muddy shores.
Bream fishing tackle
Many anglers prefer coastal float tackle for the bream fishing. It can be:
• Match Rods used in the water with minimum flow or without it. The length of the rod should be 3.6-4.2 m, and the coil must be speed.
• Telescopic Rods (Bologna) used in the waters with strong flow. This rod must be 5-8 feet in length and must have large gear ratio. This type of tackle is the best for beginners.
• The most rarely used tackle – primaries rods, because they have limited distance of fishing, but bream prefer deep water and does not dwell near the shore.
Bottom gear for catching bream is very popular among the anglers too. It can be feeder or traditional bottom. Feeders in this case can be very different. Feeder rod should be chosen depending on the conditions of fishing. If you will catch in the river, take a feeder rod with a test of 70 g or more. Such a big test feeder rod is selected because of the large weight of used feeders. If there is no flow in the water, take a feeder rod with a test less 70 g. There are no special coils for fishing on the feeder for the beginners. If you choose heavy feeder, use a coil with a low gear ratio. Coil, which has a gear ratio greater than 1:5,1, in comparison with traction coil have short operational life.
If you catching bream from the boat, you can use side rods. If there is a flow in the water, use the rod with a nod. There is may be any length of the rod — from 1 to 2.4 m. The design of a nod for such rods should be similar to the top of the feeder.
The best bait for bream fishing
• Juicy and fat grubs or wax worms are the best treat for most of hungry ones. Small grabs are ideal if you use a No. 8 or No. 10 hook.
• Equally like nightcrawlers, red worms and earthworms. If you prefer worms, you must make sure that their size isn’t too big for bream mouth. Otherwise, bream will pull the bait bit by bit, until the hook would empty. If you have large warms, tear them into several small pieces with one inch lengths.
• Canned corn is such an effective as live bait, but without the mess. It’s a time-tested bait. You must thread onto your hook as many kernels, as you can and when your hook hits the water, you must be ready to catch it.
• Small grasshoppers and crickets are equally safe bet for this fish whether you catch them yourself or buy at the bait shop.
If you cannot use any of listed above baits, products from the local grocery store will be suitable too. It may be chicken liver, mini marshmallows, summer sausage or hotdog.
Bream fishing tips
One of the most enviable trophies for fishing with a float and donk. If you want to catch a large fish, you must have great experience and skills, because bream can be found in rivers or water without flow and features of fishing in quiet water and in the stream are different. Here are several tips, which help you to become better.
1. You can catch it all the year. The best times for fishing – the first two or three weeks after the freeze-up in winter and in spring – the beginning of melting. In the open water it caught well in the early summer and spring.
2. The largest fish you can catch at night, when adult, experienced and very careful fish become less suspicious.
3. It attracts by a cluster of seashells on a pure and solid ground. This fish prefer places without vegetation.
4. Sometimes sandwiches with different baits are better than single warm, bloodworm or maggot.
5. The bait always must be fresh. You will not catch a large fish without bait.
6. Bream lips are very weakly and you must hook the fish carefully, otherwise, you rend the lip and he goes off the hook. The fish must be tired and then angler brings it to the water surface. Then the prey will stop twitch because it takes a sip of air.
7. Use marker gear or sonar to get a glimpse of the local topography and investigate place for fishing. If you find some indentations, start to catch the prey.
8. Work carefully with new additives and attractants. Spring and autumn aromatization should be unsaturated and without fruit flavors. In the summertime you can use bait with sweet scents and fishing without adding flavoring in winter.
9. If regular luring of the fish will be successfully, you will catch it all the season.
10. Try to use pupae maggots, if you caught only small fish using maggots.
Bream fishing video
Here is a video about bream fishing, which can be useful for experienced anglers and amateurs. Viewing it, you will learn the basic features of catching this fish and make sure, that the tips above are really helpful.